Nigerian-New Zealand professional mixed martial artist, Israel Adesanya faces three months imprisonment as he pleads guilty to drunk-driving charges.
Adesanya was returning from a dinner outing with friends when he encountered a Random Breath Testing unit in Auckland, as reported by his team to ESPN.
The incident occurred on August 19, when the former UFC middleweight champion was stopped and found to have 87 milligrams of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood in his system.
- Man sells his supermarket for N40m, relocates family abroad, wife “betrays” him in Canada
- Victor Osimhen, Oshoala make final shortlist of CAF awards
- I Did Not Scam Nigerians, Transgender Jayboogie Speaks Out Amid BBL Fraud
- Bolanle Ninalowo flaunts new woman actress Damilola, months after divorce from wife
- Shettima’s aide replies Peter Obi over N15b planned renovation of VP’s residence
It’s worth noting that the legal limit for blood alcohol content in New Zealand is set at 50 milligrams.
As a result of this offence, he could potentially face a fine of up to $2,680 and/or a jail sentence of three months, according to ESPN.
“I want to apologize to the community, my family and my team for the decision I made to get behind the wheel after drinking at a dinner,’ Adesanya said in a statement provided to ESPN.
‘I am disappointed with my decision to drive, it was wrong. I know that people might follow me and I want them to know I do not think this behavior is acceptable,” he said in a statement.