Africa
ECOWAS condemns military takeover in Niger
The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) has condemned the coup d’etat in Niger.
A statement posted on the website of the ECOWAS Commission said the bloc received the news of the military incursion with “shock and consternation”
“ECOWAS condemns, in the strongest terms, the attempt to seize power by force and calls on the coup plotters to free the democratically-elected President of the Republic immediately and without any condition,” the commission said.

READ ALSO
- 2027: Akume’s Wife, David Mark’s Daughter Clinch APC Reps Tickets in Benue
- Cubana Chief Priest Claims He Withdrew From APC Ticket Race Before Primaries
- How To Apply for BBNaija Season 11 Auditions as Registration Opens
- BBNaija Season 11 Auditions to Begin May 22 in Lagos, Abuja, Enugu
- Kizz Daniel Announces 7 Job Vacancies at Flyboy INC as He Rebuilds Record Label
It said it would hold all those involved in the plot responsible for the security and safety of the president, his family, members of the government, and the general public.
The commission added that the international community would do the same.
A group of soldiers who appeared on the West African nation’s national television late on Wednesday, said the Niger President Mohamed Bazoum had been removed from power.
The soldiers made the assertion hours after the presidential guard had the president under house arrest in the presidential palace, a move typical of military coups.
The group, which is calling itself the National Council for the Safeguarding of the Country, announced, on state television, that they had overthrown the Bazoum government because of the country’s deteriorating security situation.
The group, however, said it remained committed to its engagements with the international and national communities.
Based on media reports, the soldiers have suspended all institutions and have put security forces in charge of the situation.
They urged external partners not to interfere.



