A High Court in Nairobi, Kenya declared that arrest and rendition of Mazi Nnamdi Kanu to Nigeria as illegal.
In a landmark judgement, the judge held that the abduction and detention of Kanu, leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) leader, in Kenya and his subsequent rendition to Nigeria in June 2021 were unlawful and illegal.
The judgement was delivered by Justice E.C. Mwita.
He held that the actions of both the Kenyan and Nigerian governments amounted to gross violations of Kanu’s fundamental human rights as protected by their respective constitutions.
The IPOB had consistently declared that the ongoing trial of Kanu on terrorism charges would amount to nothing owing to the manner of his rendition to Nigeria.
In the judgement by the Kenyan court, it also awarded Kanu 10 million Kenyan shillings in compensatory damages against the Kenyan government for its role in the unlawful abduction and rendition.
Justice E.C. Mwita said, “Having considered the pleadings and arguments by parties, the decisions relied on, the Constitution and the law, I come to the following conclusions:
“First, the government of Kenya violated the Constitution and Mr. Nnamdi Kanu’s rights and fundamental freedoms. Having entered Kenya lawfully he was subject to the protection offered by the Constitution of Kenya 2010 and the government of Kenya had an obligation to uphold and protect his rights and fundamental freedoms.
“Mr. Nnamdi was, however, abducted, kept in solitude confinement, tortured and denied food and medication, a breach of basic rights. He was chained, humiliated, ridiculed and held in contempt and later forcibly removed from Kenya without following the law in violation of his rights and fundamental freedoms for which the government of Kenya is liable.
“Based on the above conclusions, the court makes the following declarations and orders it considers appropriate: A declaration is hereby issued that the abduction of Mr. Nwannekaenvi Nnamdi Kenny Okwu Kanu; holding him in incommunicado confinement, torturing him and denying him food, water, medication and other basic necessities was a violation of his rights and fundamental freedoms.
“A declaration is hereby issued that the abduction and subsequent forcible removal of Mr. Nwannekaenvi Nnamdi Kenny Okwu-Kanu from Kenya to Nigeria was in violation of the laws of Kenya; his rights and fundamental freedoms, including freedom of movement and security of the person guaranteed by the Constitution of Kenya, 2010 and, therefore, unconstitutional and illegal.
“An order for compensation is hereby issued awarding Mr. Nwannekaenvi Nnamdi Kenny Okwu-Kanu general damages of Kshs 10,000,000 (N119,546,576.79) against the Attorney General of Kenya on behalf of the government of Kenya for the violation of Mr. Nwannekaenvi Nnamdi Kenny Okwu-Kanu’s constitutional rights and fundamental freedoms.”
Reacting to the judgement, the IPOB, through its spokesman, Emma Powerful, said it reinforced its long-held view that Kanu’s rendition to Nigeria was unlawful.
In a statement he issued Friday morning, Powerful described it as a “resounding judicial earthquake that has shaken the legal foundations of the fraudulent rendition of our leader, ONYENDU Mazi Nnamdi Kanu.”
He said the group had been vindicated in its stand that what transpired in Nairobi in June 2021 was not extradition but extraordinary rendition.
The IPOB spokesman then declared: “Let it be known that this is not the end. This is the beginning of a global accountability campaign.
“All those responsible — in Kenya, Nigeria, or elsewhere — shall be pursued to the ends of the earth under the universal principle of accountability for crimes against humanity.
“Neither British diplomatic complicity nor cowardly silence from Western powers will shield the perpetrators from the legal, diplomatic, and moral reckoning that is coming.”
While hailing the Kenyan judge for his courage, he said: “To the Nigerian judiciary, let this be a mirror: Justice is not an act of cowardice, but of courage.”
The ongoing trial of the Leader of Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu, on allegations bordering on terrorism and treason has been laid to rest by the federal government.
Representing the federal government, Chief Adegboyega Awomolo, SAN, announced the verdict on Thursday after the 5th prosecution witness (PW-5), identified as EEE for security reasons, was led in evidence and cross-examined by Kanu’s lawyer, Onyechi Ikpeazu, before Justice James Omotosho of the Federal High Court in Abuja.
Awomolo told the court that the prosecution was satisfied with the avalanche of evidence tendered, including the broadcast of activities of the leader of the IPOB after calling five witnesses in the trial, adding that the government had sufficiently satisfied the need to close its case.
“I therefore close the case, ” the senior lawyer said.
The lead defence counsel, Chief Kanu Agabi, told the court that they would be opting for a no-case submission, which would be filed in due course
BONA NAIJA – Former Head of Military Government in Nigeria, General Yakubu Gowon, (Rtd) on Wednesday provided further insight into his leadership of the country.
Gowon, who appeared on Arise Television, also disclosed that the Biafra civil war was not meant to be against the Igbos.
The military ruler said he left a clear code that it was a battle against armed Biafra forces and not against women and women.
According to him, he engaged in the war as the last alternative to keep the country together.
Gowon, who ruled Nigeria from 1966 to 1975, at the age of 31, said his good upbringing played a role in his position.
“It was 31 going to 32, and I had a good upbringing from home, school, and military training. I was brought up in a very strict religious environment, so I feel back because I was not prepared to rule Nigeria.
“But I was loyal to my country. I was not trained to rule, but my upbringing helped me to learn how to deal with situations the best way you can.
“But of course, you can’t do it alone. You have other people around you,” he stated.
On the civil war, he had this to say: “I was not aware of a counter coup in 1966, I was unaware until that very night when I was woken up to say something had happened in Abeokuta.
“The war was something we didn’t expect, there were reactions against the unitary system of government.
“I had a responsibility to keep Nigeria united and I warned that if the situation gets to this stage where I have to choose to align with the break up or the other side, I know where my responsibility is – my loyalty is to the country.
“From the beginning I never wanted the war against the Igbos as such but it was to stop the breaking up of Nigeria.
“So what I did was to give a code of conduct on how the operations were to go, you are not fighting the people, make sure you protect the people, protect the women and their children – only take up arms against those who take arms against you and any distraction against the population that is not correct will be dealt with.
“We tried to send leaflets against the people that the war is not against them.”
WATCH
Biafra War Not Fight Against Igbos, But Secessionists Carrying Arms Against Governments – Gowon
I had a responsibility and duty as a loyal Nigerian to keep the country whole. From the beginning, I ensured that this was not a war against Igbos as such, but one to stop the… pic.twitter.com/FIutx639T7
The Federal High Court in Abuja has relocated the ongoing trial of Nnamdi Kanu, leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), to the Department of State Services (DSS) headquarters.
Justice James Omotosho ordered the temporary relocation to facilitate an on-site inspection of a shipping container allegedly used by Kanu to import a radio transmitter into Nigeria for broadcasts on Radio Biafra.
Nnamdi Kanu is facing trial for terrorism charges due to his push for the actualization of Biafra. The prosecution alleges that Kanu used the shipping container to smuggle a radio transmitter into the country, which was concealed among household equipment.
The inspection marks a significant development in the high-profile case and could influence the trajectory of the trial. The trial judge and legal teams visited the DSS facility to examine the container, considered central to the allegations against Kanu. Further proceedings are expected to continue after the inspection.
The relocation of the trial to the DSS headquarters highlights the complexities of the case and the need for thorough investigation. The outcome of the inspection and subsequent proceedings will likely have significant implications for Kanu’s trial.
The Federal High Court in Abuja has admitted video evidence of Nnamdi Kanu, leader of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), inspecting a Radio Biafra transmitter.
The development occurred during the ongoing trial of Kanu, who is facing charges related to treasonable felony and terrorism.
According to reports, the transmitter in question was allegedly smuggled into the country and kept in Ubuluisiuzor, Anambra State.
The video footage, which was played in court, shows Kanu inspecting the transmitter, sparking controversy over his alleged involvement in broadcasting activities.
Allegations of Duress
Kanu’s lawyers have claimed that their client was subjected to duress and coercion during his detention, alleging that DSS operatives forced him to write statements without the presence of his lawyers. However, the prosecution has denied these allegations, maintaining that Kanu’s statements were made voluntarily.
Trial-Within-Trial
The court has ordered a trial-within-trial to determine the voluntariness of Kanu’s statements. During the trial-within-trial, Kanu testified that he was struck by a DSS operative and later apologized for the incident.
The court adjourned the case until May 29 for continuation of the hearing and ruling on the admissibility of the statements.
Kanu has been in detention since 2021, when he was rearrested and brought back to Nigeria to face trial. The IPOB leader has been accused of treasonable felony and terrorism, among other charges. His trial has sparked controversy, with many calling for his release and others demanding that he faces the full weight of the law.
The case continues to unfold, with the court’s decision on the admissibility of Kanu’s statements expected to play a crucial role in determining the outcome of the trial.
Justice James Omotosho of the Federal High Court, Abuja, has expressed displeasure over what he described as unprofessional conduct among Nnamdi Kanu’s legal team.
The Judge gave the warning on Wednesday during the continuation of ongoing terrorism trial of Kanu, leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB.
Justice Omotosho particularly described Aloy Ejimakor and others as mere content creators who do not want the trial to end, for their selfish interests.
The judge charged all parties in the case, especially those prosecuting the trial on social media, to act professionally so as not to have themselves to blame.
Aloy Ejimakor
He warned Ejimakor to stop such conduct that may warrant the disbarring of a lawyer.
”Ejimakor even has the audacity to post the approved list of counsel for Nnamdi Kanu on his Facebook page,” the judge observed.
Justice Omotosho charged all parties in the case to avoid acts that amount to misconduct and watch what they post on social media.
The judge said he granted an accelerated hearing into the case in the interest of all parties, particularly for Nnamdi Kanu who has been in custody for too long
Justice Omotosho’s warning came after the Federal Government of Nigeria kicked against live streaming of court proceedings in Kanu’s trial.
The Federal Government, through its lawyer, Chief Adegboyega Awomolo, SAN, kicked against a request made by Kanu’s family for live streaming of the proceedings.
At the resumption of trial, Kanu’s lead counsel, Kanu Agabi, SAN, drew the attention of the court to a letter by Awomolo.
In the letter dated May 14, 2025, the Federal Government lawyer recommended that the use of phones be banned from the courtroom henceforth.
The senior lawyer lamented the action of Aloy Ejimakor, a member of Kanu’s team, who posts alleged misleading information on social media.
Awomolo accused Ejimakor of posting misleading, embarrassing and unpleasant commentaries on social media.
“The on-going case is a serious matter that should not be trivialised by any lawyer from any of the parties,” Awomolo said.
In one of the video posts on his Facebook page, Ejimakor was said to have called on ‘Biafrans’ to rise against the persecution of Nnamdi Kanu.
Agabi, Kanu’s lead lawyer, equally condemned Ejimakor’s action.
He apologized over the conduct and promised that such would not repeat itself.
Meanwhile, the case later proceeded with the cross examination PW2 (a personnel of the DSS) code named BBB by Paul Erokoro, SAN, who conducted proceedings on behalf of the defence.
NNAMDI KANU’S TRIAL-COURT UPDATE AS RECORDED BY FACEBOOK USER
21st May 2025
Time: 9:00 AM
Venue: Federal High Court, Abuja
⸻
THE TRIAL CONTINUES – PROSECUTION COURT UPDATES THE COURT
Today’s trial saw the prosecution bitterly complain about the regular media updates being released by Nnamdi Kanu’s legal team — especially during the ongoing cross-examination of their key witness.
The prosecution accused Barr. Aloy Ejimakor (Kanu’s lawyer) of contempt of court for allegedly disobeying the judge’s directive not to engage with the media.
The presiding judge expressed dissatisfaction over Ejimakor’s action and reminded the court that he has committed to a speedy and fair trial.
Lead Defense Counsel, Mr. Paul Erokoro (SAN), apologized on behalf of the team and promised it wouldn’t happen again
⸻
CROSS-EXAMINATION OF PROSECUTION WITNESS (Witness 2)
Focus: Alleged incitement by Nnamdi Kanu in connection with property destruction in Lagos and other regions.
DEFENSE:
You said he incited people to burn buses in Lagos.
WITNESS: Yes.
DEFENSE: How many buses? Plate numbers?
Models? Names of those who burnt them?
WITNESS: I don’t know. I’m not aware.
Erokoro (SAN): You mentioned the High Court and Airport were burnt. Who did it?
WITNESS: I don’t know. I only know they followed his order.
DEFENSE: What are the names of the police stations burnt in Ebonyi and Enugu?
WITNESS: I don’t know.
⸻
On Self-Defense Remarks:
DEFENSE: Are you aware that Gen. T.Y. Danjuma once told Nigerians to defend themselves?
WITNESS: I’m aware but can’t recall his exact words.
DEFENSE: Are you aware that DSS DG Adeola Ajayi said same in Azare community after they fought back against Boko Haram?
WITNESS: I’m not aware.
DEFENSE: Isn’t it the same principle Nnamdi Kanu echoed — that if someone wants to kill you, defend yourself?
WITNESS: I’m not aware, but I believe his broadcast was not about self-defense.
⸻
The defense requested adjournment to allow time for playing video evidence in court.
The prosecution objected, but the judge overruled them and granted the adjournment.
⸻
Next Hearing Date: Thursday, May 22, 2025
The judge warned: “No further adjournments will be tolerated. The case will be concluded.