World News
Norway Oil and Gas Exploration Round Attracts 20 Bidders, Including Equinor and TotalEnergies
Norway’s Ministry of Energy announced on Thursday that it has received applications from 20 oil and gas companies for exploration acreage in its annual Awards in Predefined Areas (APA) licensing round.
The 2025 round features expanded acreage in the Arctic Barents Sea, part of Norway’s strategy to sustain long-term oil and gas production amid Europe’s shifting energy landscape.
According to the ministry, the number of applicants matches last year’s round, when exploration rights were awarded to 20 firms. Energy majors including Equinor, Aker BP, ConocoPhillips, and TotalEnergies were among those submitting bids.
READ ALSO: Dangote Refinery Makes History: Sends First Petrol Cargo to the U.S.
“It is gratifying to see that there is still great interest and that companies have faith in the opportunities that lie in further exploration,” Energy Minister Terje Aasland said in a statement.
“This will enable Norway to continue to be a stable and predictable supplier of oil and gas to Europe.”
The APA licensing round remains a cornerstone of Norway’s petroleum policy, ensuring access to new acreage in mature regions while balancing environmental concerns and economic interests.
Results from the latest bidding round are expected to be announced in early 2026.
Read more here
Follow BONA NAIJA for more
World News
Trump Excludes South Africa from 2026 G20 Summit in Miami
U.S. President Donald Trump has moved to exclude South Africa from the 2026 G20 Summit scheduled to take place in Miami, marking an unprecedented break in the group’s tradition of inclusive participation.
The development follows Washington’s high-level boycott of South Africa’s 2025 G20 summit, which the U.S. skipped over concerns related to violence against white farmers—a situation Trump has repeatedly described as a “genocide.” Fact-checkers and human rights monitors have rejected this characterization, noting that while farm attacks remain a serious security issue, there is no evidence of a systematic campaign of extermination.
South Africa has strongly disputed Trump’s claims, including his account of how the G20 presidency was transferred. Officials in Pretoria say the U.S. delegation had already opted to stay away from the summit, with the eventual handover occurring through an embassy representative rather than formal high-level participation.
Although the G20 operates without strict rules that authorize the exclusion of member states, Trump’s decision raises new questions about the organization’s cohesion ahead of the U.S.-hosted conference. Germany has already urged Washington to ensure South Africa’s inclusion, warning that sidelining a member could undermine the group’s credibility.

The move could also affect U.S.–South Africa relations more broadly. Annual American assistance to Pretoria estimated between $100 million and $500 million may now face political scrutiny.
World News
USA: Two National Guard Members Shot Near White House, Remain in Critical Condition
Two West Virginia National Guard members were shot Wednesday just two blocks from the White House in what authorities are calling a targeted attack. The soldiers remain alive and in critical condition, FBI Director Kash Patel said.
West Virginia Gov. Patrick Morrisey initially announced the soldiers had died but later retracted the statement, saying his office was “receiving conflicting reports.” Local officials also confirmed the troops were hospitalized in critical condition.
A suspect, who was taken into custody, was also shot and sustained injuries that are not believed to be life-threatening, according to law enforcement officials who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity.
“This is a targeted shooting,” Washington Mayor Muriel Bowser said, noting that investigators are reviewing surveillance footage.
Exchange of Gunfire
According to officials familiar with the investigation, the suspect walked up to the soldiers and opened fire. At least one of the Guardsmen returned fire. Authorities are still working to determine the shooter’s motive, including whether the troops were specifically targeted.
The shooting unfolded on a busy street near the White House. Videos posted to social media showed first responders performing CPR on one soldier as another received treatment on a shattered, glass-covered sidewalk. Police officers were seen restraining a suspect nearby.
Witness Account
Stacy Walters, who was in a car near the scene, said she heard two gunshots before witnessing people running. “It’s such a beautiful day. Who would do this, and we’re getting ready for the holidays?” she said.
Emergency responders transported all three injured individuals to a hospital, according to DC Fire and EMS spokesperson Vito Maggiolo.
Ongoing Tensions Over Guard Deployment
The National Guard’s presence in Washington has been a contentious political issue for months. In August, more than 300 West Virginia Guard members were deployed to the capital following an emergency order by President Donald Trump, who federalized the local police force. Although that order expired, many troops remained on the streets.
Last week, a federal judge ordered the Guard deployment to end but paused her ruling for 21 days to allow the Trump administration time to comply or appeal.
Reactions From Leaders
President Donald Trump, speaking from Florida, vowed that the gunman “will pay a very steep price,” calling the attacker an “animal” in a statement on Truth Social.
Vice President JD Vance, addressing troops at Fort Campbell, Kentucky, urged Americans to pray for the wounded soldiers. “It’s a somber reminder that our soldiers… are the sword and the shield of the United States,” he said.
Mayor Bowser, who earlier in the day announced she would not seek reelection, said her administration is actively monitoring the situation.
Heavy Police Presence
The shooting scene was locked down with police tape as emergency lights flashed overhead. Agents from the Secret Service, FBI, and ATF responded, and at least one helicopter landed on the National Mall while Guard troops secured the perimeter.
The investigation remains active, with officials reviewing surveillance footage and interviewing witnesses as they work to determine the suspect’s motive.
AP
Follow BONA NAIJA for more
World News
Nicki Minaj Calls for Global Action to Protect Christians in Nigeria at UN Event
American rapper Onika Maraj-Petty, popularly known as Nicki Minaj, has called for urgent international action to stop what she described as increasing attacks on Christians in Nigeria.
Minaj made the appeal on Tuesday while speaking at a United Nations dialogue in New York, where she addressed reports of targeted violence against Christian communities. Her appearance followed an earlier announcement that she would join the session alongside U.S. Ambassador to the UN, Michael Waltz.
Speaking during the broadcast streamed on the official YouTube channel of the U.S. Mission to the United Nations, Minaj condemned the rising assaults on religious groups, warning that the violence had reached “alarming levels.”
“Christians in Nigeria are being targeted, driven from their homes, and killed in far too many areas,” she said.
The Grammy-nominated artist highlighted the destruction of churches, displacement of families, and the growing fear among communities attacked because of their faith. She stressed that these incidents were not isolated to Nigeria alone but formed part of a disturbing global trend of religious persecution.
Minaj clarified that advocating for the protection of Christian minorities should not be viewed as taking sides, insisting that it is a humanitarian issue that requires unity rather than division. She described Nigeria as a country rich in diverse faith traditions and expressed her excitement about connecting with her Nigerian fan base the “Barbz.”
Addressing the broader attack on religious sites, Minaj said the destruction of any church, mosque, or sacred place should be a cause for global concern, adding that such violence undermines the core mission of the United Nations to uphold peace and security.
She also praised peacebuilders and interfaith leaders present at the event, commending their efforts to promote harmony and safeguard the rights of all believers.
“I hope it will encourage deepened solidarity for us to urgently work together to ensure every person can enjoy the right to believe, to worship, and to live in peace… Barbz,” she concluded.
Her comments come amid renewed attention on Nigeria’s religious conflict, following former U.S. President Donald Trump’s recent warning of possible military intervention against Islamic extremists in the country if attacks on Christians continue. Trump’s remarks accompanied his decision to label Nigeria a “Country of Particular Concern,” a designation the Nigerian government has rejected.
Follow BONA NAIJA for more
World News
US Military Submits Contingency Plan for Action in Nigeria
The United States military has reportedly submitted contingency plans for potential military action in Nigeria, according to a report by The New York Times.
The development follows President Donald Trump’s directive to the U.S. Department of War to prepare options for possible intervention over allegations of widespread persecution of Christians in Nigeria.
According to the report, the U.S. Africa Command (AFRICOM) has drawn up and forwarded a set of contingency options to the Department of War at the request of Secretary Pete Hegseth.
The plans reportedly outline three levels of military response “heavy,” “medium,” and “light” each designed to allow for controlled escalation depending on the situation.
Officials cited in the report said the “heavy option” represents the most forceful response, involving the deployment of an aircraft carrier group to the Gulf of Guinea and potential airstrikes using fighter jets or long-range bombers on targets inside northern Nigeria.
The “medium option” focuses on the use of drone strikes against militant camps, convoys, and vehicles, while the “light option” would center on intelligence operations and limited advisory support.
Retired U.S. Army Major General Paul D. Eaton, a veteran of the Iraq War, warned that such an operation would be “a fiasco,” noting that the American public has little appetite for another large-scale military campaign reminiscent of Iraq or Afghanistan.
The report added that Trump has shown particular interest in airstrike-based strategies, though officials cautioned that such an approach would likely deliver “shock and awe” without resolving underlying conflicts.
President Trump recently designated Nigeria as a “Country of Particular Concern”, citing what he described as ongoing violence against Christians and the alleged failure of the Nigerian government to protect religious minorities.
The Nigerian government, however, has strongly denied allegations of religious persecution, insisting that the country remains committed to protecting all faith communities.
READ MORE HERE
Follow BONA NAIJA for more
Politics
Five Things to Know About New York’s New Mayor, Zohran Mamdani
Democratic socialist Zohran Mamdani has made history as the newly elected Mayor of New York City, winning by a landslide and setting the stage for a political showdown with U.S. President Donald Trump, who has repeatedly attacked him as a “little Communist.”
Mamdani, 34, will take office on January 1, becoming one of the most left-leaning figures ever to lead America’s largest city. Here are five things to know about his victory and what lies ahead for his administration.
1. Landslide Victory
Mamdani secured over one million votes, winning 50 percent of ballots cast compared to his closest rival, former New York Governor Andrew Cuomo, who earned just under 42 percent. The election saw the highest voter turnout since 1969.
His campaign’s vast grassroots network of 100,000 volunteers reached every borough and community, running on a message of economic equality, affordable housing, and public welfare.
“We have toppled a political dynasty,” Mamdani said, referencing the end of the Cuomo family’s decades-long influence in New York politics.
2. Trump on the Horizon
Mamdani’s outspoken criticism of President Trump’s policies has already drawn sharp rebukes from the White House. The president has threatened to cut off federal funding to New York and labeled Mamdani “a little Communist.”
Mamdani previously urged Americans to “reject Trump’s fascism”, signaling that his tenure could bring renewed political tension between City Hall and Washington.
3. Time to Prepare
With less than two months before taking office, Mamdani must assemble a capable team to deliver on his ambitious progressive agenda including city-run supermarkets, free daycare, and fare-free bus routes.
He has already appointed five women to co-chair his transition team, including Maria Torres-Springer, who resigned as deputy mayor under outgoing Mayor Eric Adams due to his engagement with Trump.
Political analysts say he will need a savvy cabinet capable of navigating both City Hall and Albany, especially as the city faces threats of federal funding cuts and a possible loss of food assistance for 1.8 million residents amid a government shutdown.
“His vision for New York is not crazy,” said Lincoln Mitchell, a Columbia University politics professor. “It’s filling in the gaps in our tattered social safety net.”
4. Jewish Outreach
New York, home to the largest Jewish community outside Israel, has seen a surge in antisemitic incidents, with 57 percent of hate crimes in the city targeting Jewish people, according to outgoing Mayor Adams.
Mamdani faced criticism from pro-Israel groups over his support for Palestinian rights and his condemnation of Israel’s actions in Gaza, which he described as “a genocide.” The Anti-Defamation League (ADL) has announced plans to monitor his policies closely.
In his victory speech, Mamdani pledged to stand “steadfast alongside Jewish New Yorkers” and confront antisemitism head-on, while insisting the ADL’s scrutiny must be “honest and fair.”
5. End of an Era
Mamdani’s triumph marks the end of an era in New York politics, sidelining both Andrew Cuomo and Eric Adams, and signaling a leftward shift for the Democratic Party.
Backed by Senator Bernie Sanders and Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Mamdani’s insurgent campaign energized young voters and working-class communities, promising a fresh, inclusive approach to governance.
“This is not just a political win,” he said. “It’s a mandate for a fairer, freer New York.”
Follow BONA NAIJA for more
-
World News3 weeks agoUS Military Submits Contingency Plan for Action in Nigeria
-
Music News3 weeks agoBurna Boy, Davido, Ayra Starr, Wizkid Lead Nigeria’s Charge in 2026 Grammy Nominations
-
Music2 weeks agoNikos Living Releases ‘Call My Name’ Featuring Peruzzi and Young Jonn
-
Entertainment3 weeks agoDavido Splashes ₦1.08 Billion on 2025 Rolls-Royce Black Badge Cullinan
-
Africa3 weeks agoJCI Nigeria’s Oluwatoyin Atanda Named 2025 Most Outstanding National President
-
News2 weeks agoBrig-Gen M. Uba Killed by ISWAP After Terrorists Intercepted His Location
-
News3 weeks agoBREAKING: EFCC Declares Ex-Governor Timipre Sylva Wanted Over $14.8m Fraud
-
Sports3 weeks agoFalconets Beat Ghana 3–0 to Win 2025 WAFU B U-20 Championship in Benin Republic
-
Abuja3 weeks agoTension in Abuja as Soldiers Block Wike from Accessing Gaduwa Land Linked to Retired Admiral
-
Biafra1 week agoJudge Orders Nnamdi Kanu Out of Courtroom as Judgment Begins




