Connect with us
Derek Dixon Sues Tyler Perry for $260M in Sexual Harassment Case Derek Dixon Sues Tyler Perry for $260M in Sexual Harassment Case

Entertainment

Derek Dixon Sues Tyler Perry for $260M in Sexual Harassment Case

Derek Dixon Sues Tyler Perry for $260M in Sexual Harassment Case

Published

on

Share for social good

Tyler Perry sued by actor on ‘The Oval’ for sexual assault and harassment


Tyler Perry was accused of sexual harassment, assault and retaliation in a lawsuit filed in Los Angeles last week by Derek Dixon, an actor who worked with Perry for years.

In a complaint filed Friday, June 13, Dixon alleges that Perry created “a coercive, sexually exploitative dynamic” with Dixon while they worked on “The Oval,” a BET drama series produced by Perry.

Dixon has sued Perry for quid pro quo, sexual harassment, workplace sexual harassment, and sexual assault and battery, among other claims. He is seeking $260 million in damages and a jury trial. Representatives for Dixon pointed to the lawsuit when reached for comment.

In the complaint, Dixon accused Perry of “initially promising him career advancement and creative opportunities, such as producing his pilot and casting him in his show, only to subject him to escalating sexual harassment, assault and battery, and professional retaliation when Mr. Dixon did not reciprocate Mr. Perry’s unwanted advances,” according to the lawsuit.

FIRS

Perry’s attorney, Matthew Boyd, denied any wrongdoing by Perry in a statement: “This is an individual who got close to Tyler Perry for what now appears to be nothing more than setting up a scam. But Tyler will not be shaken down and we are confident these fabricated claims of harassment will fail.”

In the 46-page lawsuit, Dixon alleges that he met Perry in September 2019 while working for an event company in Atlanta organizing a party for Perry’s studio. Over the next few months, Perry allegedly texted Dixon about finding him a job and changing his life. He was offered a role as the character Dale in Perry’s show “Ruthless” in November 2019, according to the lawsuit.
The two continued to exchange messages throughout the winter, the suit says. In January 2020, months after Dixon took on the “Ruthless” role, Dixon was invited to Perry’s home in Georgia, where Perry allegedly sexually assaulted Dixon.


After the incident, Dixon ignored Perry’s messages until Perry offered him a series regular role on “The Oval,” according to the suit. “Dixon was intrigued and was hoping that this would be the big break that he was looking for and a chance for him to display his acting talent,” the complaint says.

In March 2020, while reading a script about his character in “The Oval,” Dixon realized his character’s fate was left uncertain, the lawsuit says. Dixon then believed that Perry would make the character die if Dixon “ignored Perry or failed to engage with the sexual innuendos,” the suit says.

Dixon also alleged that Perry aggressively groped Dixon in a sexual manner during a cast trip in October 2020.

The sexual harassment, according to the lawsuit, continued into 2021 with Perry allegedly sending Dixon photos of Dixon’s body from the set of “The Oval” with sexually suggestive comments. In June of that year, Dixon alleges, Perry invited him to his home to discuss a show that Dixon wanted to produce. He accused Perry of sexually assaulting him at that meeting.


In 2023, the lawsuit says, Dixon told Perry that he was moving away from Atlanta to California to put distance between them. Dixon’s lawsuit says he gave up a full payment of almost $400,000 when he left “The Oval” in its final season.

According to the complaint, Dixon “continued to put up with” Perry’s advances due to fear for his career.

The complaint also alleges that Dixon visited a doctor who told him he had suffered insomnia, stomach issues and levels of stress. He was supplied Zoloft to deal with the stress, according to the lawsuit.

Tyler Perry’s New Thriller Just Celebrated a Massive Achievement on Netflix

Tyler Perry’s new release, Straw, has just celebrated a major achievement.

Straw tells the emotionally gripping story of a single mother who has no help and has to help her daughter, who falls ill often. The thriller stars Taraji P. Henson in the leading role and has received praise from the audience, although the critics disagreed. After debuting at the top of the charts in its first weekend, Netflix has just revealed that Straw had achieved two major feats: the biggest week this year for a movie and the biggest week for a 2025 launch.

In its debut week for the week between June 2 and 8, the mystery thriller debuted in first place with 25.3 million views and 48.5 million hours viewed. Since the film premiered on June 6 on the streaming platforms, it only had three days to gather views. The initial numbers were more than thrilling and in line with most Netflix hits, which generally premiere with 30 million views, give or take.

However, Straw‘s impressive debut week only improved in its second week. For the week between June 9 and 15, Straw almost doubled its views. In the full seven days, the thriller attracted 48.9 million views and 88 million hours viewed. It continued to be in the Top 10 in 93 countries, and was the No. 1 film in more than half of them, topping the charts in 58 countries, including the U.S.

Straw is Perry’s second thriller of 2025 after Duplicity, which premiered in March on Prime Video, but it had even better views and appeal. The thriller-drama had low scores, as it didn’t receive enough reviews for a critics’ rating, but only 26% from the audience.

Straw also divided the critics and the audiences. Straw debuted with a 46% “rotten” score from the critics out of 13 reviews. As more critics watch the film, the thriller’s score slightly improved to 50%, which still isn’t enough for a “fresh” score. However, audiences enjoyed the film. Straw currently enjoys a 72% approval on the Popcornmeter, which, while it’s not an impressive score, is positive enough, especially when paired with its massive viewership numbers.

With all its success on Netflix, it was impossible for Straw not to attract the attention of other important charts. In its second week, Straw also became the third most-watched title on IMDb‘s Top 10.

**Additional Report from The Washington Post**

Follow BONA NAIJA for more


Share for social good
CLICK TO GET A WhoGoHost Hosting PLAN
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Entertainment

The Five Episodes of MENtality With Ebuka Offer Deep Insights Into Masculinity and Fatherhood

Published

on

Discover the five powerful episodes of the MENtality With Ebuka podcast, where Ebuka Obi-Uchendu and Banky W explore masculinity, relationships, money, friendships, and fatherhood with insightful guests like Timi Dakolo and Hermes Iyele.
Share for social good

The MENtality With Ebuka podcast has now released five powerful episodes, each one unpacking a different layer of what it means to be a man in today’s world.

Hosted by Ebuka Obi-Uchendu and Banky W, the series has sparked important conversations around masculinity, relationships, mental health, responsibility, and the evolving role of men in society.

Here’s a breakdown of the five episodes so far:

Episode 1 — Understanding Modern Masculinity

The debut episode sets the tone as Ebuka and Banky W explore what masculinity means in today’s society. They discuss societal expectations, cultural pressures, and how men often struggle to express vulnerability. This episode opens the door for honest conversations many men have avoided for years.

FIRS

Episode 2 — Relationships, Love, and Emotional Expression

In this episode, the hosts dive into how men handle love, romance, communication, and emotional honesty. They highlight why many men suppress their feelings and how this affects relationships. The episode encourages healthier emotional habits among men.


Episode 3 — Friendships, Brotherhood, and Support Systems

This episode examines male friendships — their strengths and limitations. Ebuka and Banky discuss loyalty, competition among men, and why many men lack deep emotional support systems. Listeners learn the value of community, brotherhood, and vulnerability among male friends.


Episode 4 — Money, Pressure, and Responsibility

Here, the discussion focuses on financial expectations placed on men. From provider pressure to career struggles, Ebuka and Banky W shed light on how society ties a man’s worth to his wallet. The conversation pushes for a healthier understanding of money and personal value.


Episode 5 — Fatherhood and Raising the Next Generation

The latest episode features Timi Dakolo and Hermes Iyele, who join Ebuka and Banky W to talk about fatherhood, legacy, and raising children in a changing world. They discuss the emotional, spiritual, and practical weight of being a father, making it one of the most heartfelt episodes so far.


With all five episodes now available, viewers can watch each one to gain meaningful insights into the male experience from self-awareness to relationships, responsibility, and parenting. MENtality With Ebuka continues to shift narratives and encourage men to embrace vulnerability, growth, and honest conversations.

SUBSCRIBE TO BONA NAIJA ON YOUTUBE


Share for social good
CLICK TO GET A WhoGoHost Hosting PLAN
Continue Reading

Entertainment

Burna Boy Cancels Two U.S. Tour Dates After Viral Fan Incident

Published

on

Burna Boy Cancels Minneapolis and Chicago Dates Following ‘Sleeping Fan’ Uproar
Share for social good

Afrobeats superstar Burna Boy has abruptly cancelled two stops on his ongoing U.S. tour, just days after a viral onstage confrontation in Denver. The affected shows November 28 in Minneapolis and December 1 in Chicago were removed from his schedule this week, with automatic refunds issued to ticket holders. No official explanation has been released by Burna Boy or his management.

Denver Incident Sparks Online Debate

The cancellations come shortly after clips from his November 24 performance in Denver surfaced online, showing Burna Boy halting his set to confront a fan he spotted asleep in the audience. The woman, later identified as Chaltu Jateni, was asked to leave the venue before the artiste continued performing.

Jateni addressed the incident on Instagram, revealing that she had been struggling with depression, a disclosure that fueled widespread debate across social media. Critics accused the singer of insensitivity, while supporters argued he was reacting to perceived disengagement during a high-energy show.

Singer Defends His Actions

Following the backlash, Burna Boy defended himself, stating that audience members who appear uninterested diminish the live experience for others. He also questioned why fans attend concerts only to “sleep through them,” reigniting discussion about mental health awareness and performer expectations.

FIRS

Tour Proceeds With Boston Up Next

Despite the controversy, earlier stops on the tour were sold out, and current schedules show that the tour will continue as planned. The next show is set for December 3 in Boston.

Follow BONA NAIJA for more


Share for social good
CLICK TO GET A WhoGoHost Hosting PLAN
Continue Reading

Entertainment

Viral Video Shows Very Dark Man and Mr Jollof Fighting on United Nigeria Airlines Flight

Published

on

Viral Video Shows Very Dark Man and Mr Jollof Fighting on United Nigeria Airlines Flight
Share for social good

A viral video circulating on social media has captured a dramatic altercation between popular social media commentator Very Dark Man and entertainer Mr Jollof aboard a United Nigeria Airlines flight from Asaba to Lagos.

According to eyewitnesses, the disagreement began shortly after passengers settled into their seats. The confrontation quickly escalated into a heated exchange, drawing attention from shocked travellers and prompting flight officials to intervene.

In the video, crew members can be seen attempting to calm both men, but the situation intensified to the point where airline staff ordered their removal for the safety and comfort of other passengers.

The airline offloaded the two men before takeoff, causing a brief delay as order was restored. It remains unclear what triggered the clash, but social media users have continued to debate the incident, with many expressing surprise over the public outburst.

FIRS

United Nigeria Airlines has yet to issue an official statement regarding the disruption.


Share for social good
CLICK TO GET A WhoGoHost Hosting PLAN
Continue Reading

Entertainment

Baba Ijesha Released From Prison After Appeal Court Overturns Conviction — Yomi Fabiyi Confirms

Published

on

After spending 4 years and 7 months behind bars for sexually assaulting a minor, Baba Ijesha has finally regained his freedom from prison
Share for social good

Nigerian actor Olanrewaju Omiyinka, popularly known as Baba Ijesha, has reportedly been released from prison after spending more than three years in custody.

The news was announced by fellow actor and close associate Yomi Fabiyi, who shared the update in an Instagram post on Friday. According to Fabiyi, Baba Ijesha regained his freedom after an appeal court overturned his conviction for the sexual assault of a minor.

“You are now officially FREE AND OUT. Baba Ijesha is not just back but BETTER,” Fabiyi wrote, celebrating the court decision and his colleague’s release.

FIRS

Baba Ijesha had been serving a sentence handed down by a Lagos court before the successful appeal.

Follow BONA NAIJA for more


Share for social good
CLICK TO GET A WhoGoHost Hosting PLAN
Continue Reading

Entertainment

Davido Electrifies Ibadan Stadium in 5ive Alive Tour Homecoming

Published

on

Davido Adeleke Electrifies Ibadan Stadium in 5ive Alive Tour Homecoming
Share for social good

Nigerian global music icon Davido Adeleke brought the energy of his acclaimed 5ive Alive World Tour to a thunderous finale at the Liberty Stadium in Ibadan on Tuesday, November 12, 2025.

The performance marked a symbolic homecoming for Davido, who first graced an Ibadan stage in 2011 as an up-and-coming artist. Fourteen years later, he returned as one of Africa’s biggest stars commanding a crowd of tens of thousands and wrapping up the Nigerian leg of his sold-out world tour.

Fans filled the stadium hours before showtime, chanting his name and waving light sticks as anticipation built. Davido delivered a two-hour set packed with career-defining hits, including Dami Duro, If, Fall, Unavailable, and Feel. The stage production featured pyrotechnics, LED visuals, and guest appearances from Afrobeat collaborators such as Mayorkun and Logos Olori.

Tour organizers revealed that the 5ive Alive concerts sold over 98,000 tickets across Nigeria, with stops in Lagos, Abuja, Port Harcourt, Kano, and Ibadan. The tour, launched earlier in 2025, has drawn international acclaim for its precision, crowd engagement, and Davido’s ability to blend nostalgia with modern Afrobeat energy.

FIRS

However, the tour wasn’t without somber moments. Reports of two fatalities from overcrowding at the Enugu stop earlier in the month cast a shadow over the celebrations. While Davido’s management has not released an official statement, sources close to the artist confirmed that financial and emotional support was quietly extended to the victims’ families.

In Ibadan, Davido took a reflective pause between songs to thank his fans for their loyalty:

“Ibadan was one of the first cities that believed in me. From 2011 till now look where we are. This is love, this is home,” he said to roaring applause.

As the 5ive Alive tour now prepares to move to Europe and North America, Davido’s Ibadan performance stands as both a triumphant homecoming and a reminder of his decade-long journey as a symbol of modern Nigerian music excellence.

Follow BONA NAIJA for more


Share for social good
CLICK TO GET A WhoGoHost Hosting PLAN
Continue Reading
Advertisement

CONNECT ON FACEBOOK

Trending